Using Logical Components on Actors

Hi everyone,

In a Logical Architecture Blank diagram, I am using Logical Components to group the Logical Functions allocated to Actors, to enhance the diagram’s readability and to reflect some of the existing concepts we know about the external actors.

As soon as a Logical Function is placed in a Logical Component, it automatically turns “green”, even if that Logical Component is placed on an actor. If I drag that function out of the component and place it directly on an Actor, it becomes “blue”, reflecting that it is allocated to an actor and not to the system.

In my understanding, all Logical Functions allocated to Actors (directly or indirectly through one or even an entire hierarchy of Logical Components) should be “blue” and all the system-allocated functions should be “green”. I believe this was the meaning of the two colors.

Otherwise, working with the Logical Functional Breakdown diagrams becomes so much more difficult, as the random blue/green colors are just confusing (to say the least).

Is this a Capella bug (am using Capella 6.1.0) or am I missing/misunderstanding something?

Thanks in advance!

It is not (at all) a bug - it is a feature!
It is a design decision if a system function is realised on an actor or a actor function on the system.
This (very nice) feature is supported by Capella since 1.4.0

(have a look at What's new in Capella 1.4? (by Thales) | Webinar Capella - YouTube)

I assume that when you talk about Function colours, you are looking at the Logical Function Breakdown Diagram.
What I don’t get in your explanation is that there is no such thing as a “even if that Logical Component is placed on an actor” because you cannot decompose a Logical Actor at the LA level I think.
So I suspect you think the Logical Component is under the Actor but it is actually not, hence your function becomes green.

Sephane

@haage: Wow, I agree with you, this is quite a nice feature to convey different messages, depending on the case.
Thanks a lot for the video, helped clarifing the topic. :grinning:

@StephaneLacrampe: You can freely decompose Logical Actors in the LA level (not just in the PA level, as shown in the video).

So, to summarize, if something is part of your Scope of Responsibility (SoR), you place it on a Component. If it is not in your SoR, you place it on an Actor. No matter where that Component or Actor is placed/contained in. And both could be a human; in that case, they simply cannot be decomposed any further.

In my case, as I want to reflect a logical decomposition which is not part of my SoR (I just happen to know its structure), I have to model the entire hierarchy with Actors.

I have added a screenshot of a sample project for anyone who still needs to wrap their minds around it :wink:

Thanks again for the fast answer. Cheers!

Yes my bad, I forgot about all this. I mistakenly tried it on a human actor that you cannot decompose.
So I guess that the initial statement that was not true was "all Logical Functions allocated to Actors (directly or indirectly through one or even an entire hierarchy of Logical Components) should be “blue” and all the system-allocated functions should be “green”.

Thanks!