State machines in Arcadia

State machines are very powerful modelling tools and engineers use them in their daily tasks for maybe 60+ years regardless of the product domain. They are used for very diverse analysis needs and at any level of a product hierarchy.

It seems to me that there is a case for state machines to be better integrated in the Arcadia methodology with the rest of the modelling concepts.

So far from what I can see through the use of Capella, as I don’t have access to a conceptual data model for Arcadia, State Machines can be specified for:

• Operational Analysis level: an Operation Entity; a Class
  • System Analysis level: a System Component; a Class
  • Logical Architecture level: a Logical Component; a Class
  • Physical Architecture level: a Physical Component; a Class

I would like to be able to add state machines to Functions and Capabilities (regardless of the level they exist).

Is it possible to configure this with Capella?

Thank you

Hi @khammoutene

What does it mean to you for a function to have a state? Can you give an example semantically of what you mean.

E.g.
Function - Cool Room
System Element - Air Conditioner

• which has states on/off.
  • while in the “on” state the function to cool room occurs.

What states could the function take in this simple example?

I deleted the example as it was wrong.

Hello,

in Arcadia Modes & States Machines they belong to a “structural component” (such as a Logical Component). They represents the modes/states of such component.

if needed you can associate functions to a particular state/mode but semantically it has another meeting “is the function available/used during this mode?”.

Could you please explain why you would like to add a mode/state on a capability/function?

Hi Simone,

Thank you for giving a life to this thread.

Could you please explain why you would like to add a mode/state on a capability/function?

Why not? If you look closer, scenarios and Functional Chains are modelling execution threads in a state machine.