Secure storage of project

Hello Everyone,

I’m thinking of starting a project with an MBSE-tool at my work, but I got 2 questions which I need to know before starting with Capella

1. I can’t find information on how the project can be discovered / stored online for stakeholders to look at the model. Can someone link an example that shows how external stakeholders are able to get into the model?

2. How secure is the stored information if it can be stored? I feel like the fact Capella is open-source it attracts more hackers, which is not ideal if information needs to remain confidential.

Thanks already and I hope you get what I’m asking.

Christian

and how we can be sure that the information is safe from hackers.

Hi Christian,

• (1) Different options here: for read-only access through a browser, you can use the XHTML Documentation Generation add-on (open source) Capella MBSE Tool - Add-Ons or Publication for Capella (commercial - Publication for Capella - Obeo)

• (2) “the fact Capella is open-source it attracts more hackers” may be your feeling, but we’ve never heard about any hacker here. My feeling is that Windows has attracted way more hackers than Linux has, for example… Anyway, your question was related to storing the data: when you use Capella as open source, the data (models) you produce is stored in files on your local machine (unless you decide to put it somewhere else), Capella is a desktop software, nobody has access to your data unless you decide otherwise. Another way to store data is to use Team for Capella (commercial - MBSE Tool - Team for Capella - Obeo - Obeo), in this case the data is on a server in a database deployed on your premises. So hackers don’t have access to your data unless your servers are accessible to them.

I hope this helps.
Stephane

1 Like

I suggest using a shared access server with a Dev-Ops environment like Azure. This means you can create repositories and limit access based upon user permissions. You could go down the route of having a local server with your own security or you can rent server space for example from Amazon Web Services, Microsoft etc.

With respect to exporting the model so that a stakeholder who cant access the server can view. Either you give them an export of the model and they view it in Capella themselves using your normal secure data sharing principles, or you can do a HTML export which means you they need Capella on their machine to view.

1 Like

First of all thanks for taking your time to reply!
Secondly, is it possible to work on capella in Azure? I thought the project MBSE approach was supposed to incorporate a virtual collaborative environment. Like say I use Sparx Entreprise Architect, I can login using my own license and see what external architecture designers included in the project have done and be able to work on it as well.

First of all thanks for replying and this helps a lot indeed!
Secondly, if we were to use Obeo to collaborate on a project, is it also possible to use add-ons for Model simulation made by companies such as Glaway? (Model Simulation and Analysis in Capella | Glaway | Capella Webinar - YouTube)

Christian

Yes, unless I miss something, but I think the glaway add-on use the regular Capella data model, so I don’t see why that would not work.

1 Like

AzureDevOps is just a Microsoft’s environment to store files. These files can be passed backwards and forwards to the Azure using GIT, or just downloaded. But you need to work inside Capella as a tool. DevOps though its branches/commits etc. will tell you who has been working on the model, and what their changes made are.

If you would like multiple people being able to collaborate inside one model, then “Teams For Capella” would be required.

EA I would imagine does something very similar… the key is to have a server where you can share and collaborate.

1 Like