Property Values Management Tool under Mac/Linux

When trying to use the PVMT tool (45.5.0) on Capella 1.4.0 or 1.4.1 newly created domains do not show up in the Property Value editor.
Also - when closing the project and opening the project the domains created are missing from the .vpd file
It would seem something is preventing the domains from actually being created succesfully.
Upon closing the project I sometimes receive the error
“org.eclipse.ui.part.FileEditorInput cannot be cast to com.thalesgroup.vpd.property.virtualeditor.editor.VirtualVpdEditorInput”
Anyone experience something like this before and know how to fix it?
Regards

When trying to use the PVMT tool (45.5.0) on Capella 1.4.0 or 1.4.1 newly created domains do not show up in the Property Value editor.
Also - when closing the project and opening the project the domains created are missing from the .vpd file
It would seem something is preventing the domains from actually being created succesfully.
Upon closing the project I sometimes receive the error
“org.eclipse.ui.part.FileEditorInput cannot be cast to com.thalesgroup.vpd.property.virtualeditor.editor.VirtualVpdEditorInput”
Anyone experience something like this before and know how to fix it?
Regards

Hi Willie,
I would need a detailed explanation of how exactly you are using the PVMT Tool to make sure you have not missed anything when initializing it on your project.
Stephane

Hi Willie,
I would need a detailed explanation of how exactly you are using the PVMT Tool to make sure you have not missed anything when initializing it on your project.
Stephane

Hi
I installed the PVMT into the dropin directory as I should
Created a small new test project
added a new property values configuration file by adding it to the project
(New - Other …)
It opened up the editor with a ‘my’ domain as per the defaults
I then added (or modified - both gave the same result) a new domain as per the example in the documentation
Mass
-> Mass Extension
-> Scope (tried setting to PHYSICAL, SYSTEM, LOGICAL or even ALL)
–> Eclass Rule set to Abstract with EClass Component
->FloatProperty Mass with unit kg
Validated this and it returns a validation completed succesfully
Then saved it
Next I create a new physical component in a PAB diagram
Added to this a Physical Behaviour Block and inside this a function
I then open up the Viewer for the Property Values
When doing so, no matter which of these blocks I select, the Mass Domain does not show up in the Domains list as a tick box as shown in the documents
Sent a mail to Juan NAVAS with my whole story - he chekced the bit of definition I used on his side and said that it worked.
On my side two things goes wrong
(a) the domains are not showing up when I select a component
(b) sometimes saving the domains and closing the project, and then opening it up again, the modifications to the domains are not saved
The very first time I tried this I got an error as stated in the post.
Subsequently there are no errors, but still the domains do not show up.
An example project that already contains such domains could probably help me to check whether it is a setup issue and/or finger trouble on my side or whether it is a real bug
Regards
Willie

Hi
I installed the PVMT into the dropin directory as I should
Created a small new test project
added a new property values configuration file by adding it to the project
(New - Other …)
It opened up the editor with a ‘my’ domain as per the defaults
I then added (or modified - both gave the same result) a new domain as per the example in the documentation
Mass
-> Mass Extension
-> Scope (tried setting to PHYSICAL, SYSTEM, LOGICAL or even ALL)
–> Eclass Rule set to Abstract with EClass Component
->FloatProperty Mass with unit kg
Validated this and it returns a validation completed succesfully
Then saved it
Next I create a new physical component in a PAB diagram
Added to this a Physical Behaviour Block and inside this a function
I then open up the Viewer for the Property Values
When doing so, no matter which of these blocks I select, the Mass Domain does not show up in the Domains list as a tick box as shown in the documents
Sent a mail to Juan NAVAS with my whole story - he chekced the bit of definition I used on his side and said that it worked.
On my side two things goes wrong
(a) the domains are not showing up when I select a component
(b) sometimes saving the domains and closing the project, and then opening it up again, the modifications to the domains are not saved
The very first time I tried this I got an error as stated in the post.
Subsequently there are no errors, but still the domains do not show up.
An example project that already contains such domains could probably help me to check whether it is a setup issue and/or finger trouble on my side or whether it is a real bug
Regards
Willie

Hi Willie,
I do not have all the explanations why, but there are 2 different modes when using PVMT and I have had similar problems with the one you are using.
What I mean is: I do not advise you to do “added a new property values configuration file by adding it to the project (New - Other …)”.
What I advise you to do is:

• Start a new test project from scratch
  • Open the Property Value tab (if not already opened: Window->Show View->others and then Property values -> Property values
  • Open your test project, select the aird file and then select the first element below (of “Systems Engineering” Type
  • Go back to the property view window, and click on the icon on the top right “Open PV Definition Editor”
  • Then you can start defining your property values and they should be applied to your model
    I hope this helps
    Stephane
    Stephane

Hi Willie,
I do not have all the explanations why, but there are 2 different modes when using PVMT and I have had similar problems with the one you are using.
What I mean is: I do not advise you to do “added a new property values configuration file by adding it to the project (New - Other …)”.
What I advise you to do is:

• Start a new test project from scratch
  • Open the Property Value tab (if not already opened: Window->Show View->others and then Property values -> Property values
  • Open your test project, select the aird file and then select the first element below (of “Systems Engineering” Type
  • Go back to the property view window, and click on the icon on the top right “Open PV Definition Editor”
  • Then you can start defining your property values and they should be applied to your model
    I hope this helps
    Stephane
    Stephane

Thank you very much Stephane
That worked perfectly!
I would suggest we change the help to show this as the preferred way to do this!
Really appreciate the help
Regards

Thank you very much Stephane
That worked perfectly!
I would suggest we change the help to show this as the preferred way to do this!
Really appreciate the help
Regards

You’re welcome, I’m glad it worked out!

You’re welcome, I’m glad it worked out!

Glad to know that you managed to make it work.
As a matter of fact, the “First Steps” section in the PVMT Help chapter already includes this procedure :slight_smile:

Glad to know that you managed to make it work.
As a matter of fact, the “First Steps” section in the PVMT Help chapter already includes this procedure :slight_smile:

Hello all,
Indeed you need to be careful that property values configuration file (.vpd) are only used in order to be able to transfer property value definition from one Capella project to another one.
The fact that you created the file inside a Capella project has no impact: it is not related to the Capella project itself and thus cannot be used as is.
When you are in the Property value definition view of a Capella model, you have the possibility to import / export vpd files

Hello all,
Indeed you need to be careful that property values configuration file (.vpd) are only used in order to be able to transfer property value definition from one Capella project to another one.
The fact that you created the file inside a Capella project has no impact: it is not related to the Capella project itself and thus cannot be used as is.
When you are in the Property value definition view of a Capella model, you have the possibility to import / export vpd files

Capture.png
Capture.png