Operational analysis and operational activities

I am learning Arcadia and Capella from just a few months ago, however even when the tools guides you through the process I was struggling starting with the operational analysis when the first topic in the book and many videos about Capella and Arcadia is functional analysis. So while struggling on how to pass from OA to SA and what concepts meant my model changed a lot. The most difficult part is to understand the vocabulary of the tool, what it needs from me, how to express things that go out of the concepts in the tutorial. Got the books and watched lots of videos and the tutorial available on the site and my understanding improved a little.

Got back to the tool and tried to used it again armed with the books as reference

So I decided to follow the full process with the activities the tools suggested modeling each activity in my operational process, however wasn’t sure how to represent certain elements: Like a task that doesn’t use any data from a previous activity or how multiple activities could be performed in parallel. When to use an interaction with a return branch or just in one direction.

once I got a version more or less of my liking. Tried to get a simplified view and move some activities inside other ones I encountered the option wasn’t available in my original OA break down diagram but I couldn’t figure out why. Tried to remove the activities related from other diagrams and scenarios to figure out what was preventing me to move activities inside others or create sub-activities in an activity break down diagram. At the end I deleted all but my oc and entities diagram and was able to break down activities and create sub activities in a new root OAB diagram but lost most of my previous work.

How can I know what mode the tool or process is and what functions are available in any given mode, what are the rules that apply? is there a console to view why some action is available and in what mode the tool is.

Is change recorder only available in paid versions of Capella ? I see the help content referencing it but I can’t see the option in preferences. I am using Capella 1.4.2

Hello

Tried to remove the activities related from other diagrams and scenarios to figure out what was preventing me to move activities inside others or create sub-activities in an activity break down diagram. At the end I deleted all but my oc and entities diagram and was able to break down activities and create sub activities in a new root OAB diagram but lost most of my previous work.

There is a bug in the 1.4.x version, but I will be fixed in the next version that will be available on Q1 2021.

How can I know what mode the tool or process is and what functions are available in any given mode, what are the rules that apply? is there a console to view why some action is available and in what mode the tool is.

I guess by “tool” you mean the system? If so, you can define for Modes / States which Functions and Functional Exchanges are executed when the Mode / State gets active or inactive. There is also the possibility to define which Functions are enabled when in the Mode / State. And for more advanced features, you may want to check out this webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74eKWrSs8hI

Is change recorder only available in paid versions of Capella ? I see the help content referencing it but I can’t see the option in preferences

As stated in the Help, Change Recorder is a debug tool and is not included in the Capella perspective.

Hope this helps.