Modes vs States - alignment of use and clarifying information

Hi Guys,

I’m confused about some of the primary sources of information out there, w.r.t to Capella and Arcadia, on the use of states vs modes.

I have watched the excellent M&S Viewpoint video on YT by @SBonnet to implement configurations in my model. However what I see there vs. the IFE model seems to be in contradiction, see below:

Please help. My confusions are:

1. Image 1 - “Ground visible / Ground not visible” are states, but “Visible sun / hidden sun” are modes. What is the difference between visible ground and visible sun to make one a mode and one a state. [The common denominator used “Visibility”, leaves me to assume they would be the same (either both sets are modes or both sets are states)?]

2. Image 1 vs Image 2 - both describe system phases, but one uses modes (Nanosat, in M&S viewpoint video), one uses states (IFE example model).
    [Which one is “correct”?]
    [I would like to describe phases of use for my vehicle system - it can travel on the road, off-road, on-rail track, do maintenance work (e.g., with crane attachments), under different environmental conditions (e.g., limited visibility at night, fog, rain, and good visibility on bright days). Certain “modes” and functions are available during the respective phases. For example, object detection functions for vehicle safety will be available during on-rail phase, but not during maintenance phase. The same object detection functions will, of course, be limited or not available in low visibility conditions. How do I model this with M&S, and what should come under *states* vs. what should come under *modes*?]

3. Image 3 vs image 4 - again I would like to be able to analyse my system behaviour during faults / degraded situations. Again, there is literature that suggests “degraded” is an example of state, but the IFE model shows “degraded” as a mode.
    [What is the “correct” method to model this in M&S, or what approach would you suggest is best for my system / use case?]

I want to use this M&S and configurations to support further analyses, and would like to get the use of modes vs. states clear in my head. Note, I have read both the books JLV, and Pascal, but the still struggling due to what appears to be conflicting use/information as shown above.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance :)!

SB