Is Capella free for business use?

Hello,

First of all, congratulations on Capella, it’s a great tool.

I would like to know if I can use Capella for free in my company or if the license only allows free use in case of hobby projects. I have seen some old threads where it is mentioned that with the new Java we have to pay for the Java license. This issue could possibly be solved by using OpenJDK, is this correct?

Thank you

Hi Waulu13,

Yes, Capella is entirely free of charge, including for professional usage.

In detail, Capella is available under EPL V2.0 and provided with an open JDK. Cf. this extract from the installation guide.

Starting from Capella 6.0, a JDK Temurin (from adoptium.net) is directly embedded in the product. Having an additional Java environment on your machine is no longer a requirement.
Note: This distribution is a production-ready open-source build without legal requirement to subscribe to a commercial support contract and distributed under GNU General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception.
Note: Notice that only the embedded JDK has been field-tested.
If however you want to use a different JDK version, you need to modify the capella.ini file at 3 places. The first one is to add on two lines -vm and a reference to your JDK location. The second one is to modify -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion argument to point to your JDK version. The third one is to adapt the -Dpde.jreProfile=JavaSE-17 line either to match the version of your JDK. Please refer to the following link for more information and compatibility page.
Note: If you decide to use a JRE instead of the embedded JDK, please note that some capabilities will be disabled (e.g. the Java development capability in Capella or some capabilities coming from add-ons)

Please note that Capella add-ons can be open source or commercial and subject to specific licences.

BR

Samuel

Hello SamuelRochet,

Thank you for the reply, that’s perfect for us.

BR