How to use 2 instances of the same mechanical component in PA?

Hello,

(This is my first foray into Physical Analysis)

I am designing an optical system and I will use 2 instances of a translation stage. The item is available in a catalogue.

I created one physical component describing the translation stage, and added links to the manufacturer in the documentation tab.

What is the recommended procedure for creating the second physical component that is of the same type?

I saw REC/RPL but I am not sure if that is the right tool for my need.

Thank you,

Hi,

Yes, REC/RPL would be the way to go. Unless just recreating the same component is faster. REC/RPL enable you to link your RPLS to one REC and make sure they stay coherent. Reading the documentation on this part will probably help. Also this video is a good start https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ax61eVlxM and this webinar is more complete: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I28EhAXe-i8

Stephane

1 Like

Thanks Stephane,

(I see REC catalogue in the railroad crossing example)

Can you please clarify - As I understand, Capella model elements are instances of classes. Off course, now I cannot find a good example in the Project Explorer :person_facepalming:

I was expecting that if I wanted another instance of a physical part, I would “just” create it, based on the already existing class. Evidently not.

Thanks,

Hi,

Well, nor really “instance of classes” but instances of the Arcadia meta-type you create, a little bit like in SysML, you have definitions and parts for blocks for example. These parts are by default hidden in the project explorer, you can make them appear by changing the filter option in the project explorer view.
By default in Capella, 1 part = 1 definition and that’s why it is hidden, to make it simpler for the user. There are options to make Capella work with multiple parts when you go to the preferences page, but it is generally discouraged to enable these options, although I know some users use Capella in that way with success. I have less knowledge on that part.
Generally, REC/RPL is the advised way to manage reuse with Capella.

I hope this helps.
Stephane

1 Like

Any thoughts on how to indicate a number of instances (aka RPL)? For example:

• Assembly [1 … 100] or

• Assembly [0 … 50]

Thanks,
HĂ©lder Castro

Using a constraint maybe? (not sure exactly why/how/where you want to show it so my answer may be off)

Thanks @StephaneLacrampe in SysML it can be captured the number of instances for a part. I wonder what it could be an approach with Arcadia, maybe constraints is an option.

@mirkov I hope you have a better understanding of the REC/RPL. You can also read further the online documentation about this topic: Replicable Elements

I hope that helps,
HĂ©lder Castro

I found the links provided by Stephane helpful. So I think I am good with use of REC/RPL.

The link provided by HĂ©lder (Thanks!) leads to a github repo page, and I could not make sense how to use it, other than to download the whole repo.

What is the document that this link refers to?

(I did look into Capella’s help and found REC/RPL documentation there as well).

Happy to help @mirkov.

Yes, you can use the Capella help I believe the content is the same: Capella user manual.

You will find the REC/RPL within the wiki page.

@StephaneLacrampe reading the user manual I did find an example with class that may help to illustrate a similar concept for structure - attached.
Screenshot 2024-03-22 143748

Car owns a part named “Wheel”. The number of instances is 4.

I hope that clarifies.

Thanks,
HĂ©lder Castro

1 Like

Yes you can certainly represent multiplicity in Data diagrams in Capella but these are used for representing data (or other things) that flows through functional exchange, generally not the system components.
For the example of a car that has 4 wheels, in Arcadia/Capella you would typically use the REC-RPL mechanism, in other words, you would model the 4 wheels in your model, ie 4 components. This would probably not make sense in general to apply this if you have a lot of instances (hundreds, thousands, more…), that’s why I believe constraints are probably more adapted in general for indicating the number of instances.
I hope this helps.

Stephane

Agree @StephaneLacrampe

Thanks,
HĂ©lder Castro