Detailed instructions to run Capella 1.2.x on MacOS

Hi,
Following a few questions on the forum, please find in this post the instructions to get Capella running on Mac OS.
These screen captures have been taken on macOS Mojave. The Java version is “1.8.0_151”

1. Download the MacOS version on the Eclipse website. This will create a Capella folder in your download folder, move this Capella folder to the location of your choice.
  2. Right click on the Eclipse file and select “Show package content” (or anything that looks like that in English language). This will open the internal files of the application
  3. Make the Capella file executable:
    Open the Terminal (easy to find in the MacOS apps).
    Start typing the command “chmod +x”
    Drag and drop the Eclipse file that is located in the Contents/MacOS folder of the package content on the command line (right after “+x”). This will automatically write the path towards the file in the command
  4. Run the app. Go back in the Eclipse file right under the Capella folder and double-click. You will receive a security blocker indicating that the app is not trusted.
    5.Go in the preferences / Security tab and allow Capella to execute.
    This should work!

In the MacOS Security Preferences, allowing Capella to execute means clicking on the button that says “open anyway” (or something similar in Enlgish language)

Thanks for your detailed instructions. However, when I go to double click the Eclipse app I get “The Application ‘eclipse’ can’t be opened”. See attached. There is no option under security to override that. What do you suggest?

Hi,
it looks like the 3rd step was not successful in your case.
Did you strictly follow the instructions? Did you get any message when you did the “chmod +x” command?
Could you open the terminal again, and type the following command (replacing
/Users/steph/Downloads/capella/ by your own path?
The result should be something like that:

Hello,
I followed the steps and managed to launch capella fine. However, when it asks me to select a workspace I run into problems. The workspace that it suggests gives me an error: “The default workspace is in use or cannot be created.” (First attached file). When I select a different workspace it still throws me an error and tells me to see the log file… (second attached file).
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I’ve spent hours crawling through forums and still have not come up with any way to access the software.
Thank you in advance!

Daniil200 wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 13:06
Hello,
I followed the steps and managed to launch capella fine. However, when it asks me to select a workspace I run into problems. The workspace that it suggests gives me an error: “The default workspace is in use or cannot be created.” (First attached file). When I select a different workspace it still throws me an error and tells me to see the log file… (second attached file).
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I’ve spent hours crawling through forums and still have not come up with any way to access the software.
Thank you in advance!
Looking for help for Capella 1.3.0 as well! Appreciate any help as I need to use Capella for school!
Log error is attached below.
!SESSION 2019-02-07 10:19:55.815 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=10.0.1
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_SG
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/weiren/.eclipse_keyring
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -keyring /Users/weiren/.eclipse_keyring
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2019-02-07 10:20:17.140
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/annotation/PostConstruct
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(In jectorImpl.java:410)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.make(InjectorIm pl.java:318)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(Co ntextInjectionFactory.java:162)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.creat eDefaultHeadlessContext(E4Application.java:491)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.creat eDefaultContext(E4Application.java:505)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.creat eE4Workbench(E4Application.java:204)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:61 4)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault (Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Work bench.java:594)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.j ava:148)
at org.polarsys.capella.core.platform.sirius.ui.app.CapellaAppl ication.start(CapellaApplication.java:115)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(Eclips eAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:388)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:243)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invo ke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invo ke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl. invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java: 653)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:590)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1499)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/annotation/PostConstruct
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.inject(Injector Impl.java:124)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(In jectorImpl.java:399)
… 22 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.annotation.PostConstruct cannot be found by org.eclipse.e4.core.di_1.6.100.v20170421-1418
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInter nal(BundleLoader.java:433)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(Bund leLoader.java:395)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(Bund leLoader.java:387)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass (ModuleClassLoader.java:150)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:4 99)
… 24 more
!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-02-07 10:20:17.149
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/annotation/PreDestroy
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.disposed(Inject orImpl.java:450)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.Requestor.disposed(Requestor .java:156)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.ContextObjectSupplier$ ContextInjectionListener.update(ContextObjectSupplier.java:7 8)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.TrackableComputationEx t.update(TrackableComputationExt.java:111)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.TrackableComputationEx t.handleInvalid(TrackableComputationExt.java:74)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.EclipseContext.dispose (EclipseContext.java:178)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.osgi.EclipseContextOSG i.dispose(EclipseContextOSGi.java:99)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.osgi.EclipseContextOSG i.bundleChanged(EclipseContextOSGi.java:141)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.dispat chEvent(BundleContextImpl.java:908)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEve nt(EventManager.java:230)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEv entSynchronous(ListenerQueue.java:148)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.pu blishBundleEventPrivileged(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:213)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.pu blishBundleEvent(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:120)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.pu blishBundleEvent(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:112)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor. publishModuleEvent(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:168)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.publishEvent(Module.java:4 76)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.doStop(Module.java:634)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.stop(Module.java:498)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.SystemModule.stop(SystemModule.ja va:202)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle$SystemBund le$EquinoxSystemModule$1.run(EquinoxBundle.java:165)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:844)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.annotation.PreDestroy cannot be found by org.eclipse.e4.core.di_1.6.100.v20170421-1418
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInter nal(BundleLoader.java:433)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(Bund leLoader.java:395)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(Bund leLoader.java:387)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass (ModuleClassLoader.java:150)
… 21 more
!SESSION 2019-02-07 10:20:22.045 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=10.0.1
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -keyring /Users/weiren/.eclipse_keyring
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2019-02-07 10:21:52.846
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/annotation/PostConstruct
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(In jectorImpl.java:410)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(Co ntextInjectionFactory.java:162)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.creat eDefaultHeadlessContext(E4Application.java:491)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.creat eDefaultContext(E4Application.java:505)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.creat eE4Workbench(E4Application.java:204)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault (Realm.java:336)
at org.polarsys.capella.core.platform.sirius.ui.app.CapellaAppl ication.start(CapellaApplication.java:115)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(Eclips eAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:388)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:243)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invo ke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invo ke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl. invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(In jectorImpl.java:399)
… 22 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.annotation.PostConstruct cannot be found by org.eclipse.e4.core.di_1.6.100.v20170421-1418
… 24 more
!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-02-07 10:21:52.856
!STACK 0
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.disposed(Inject orImpl.java:450)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.ContextObjectSupplier$ ContextInjectionListener.update(ContextObjectSupplier.java:7 8)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.TrackableComputationEx t.update(TrackableComputationExt.java:111)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.TrackableComputationEx t.handleInvalid(TrackableComputationExt.java:74)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.EclipseContext.dispose (EclipseContext.java:178)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.osgi.EclipseContextOSG i.dispose(EclipseContextOSGi.java:99)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.osgi.EclipseContextOSG i.bundleChanged(EclipseContextOSGi.java:141)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.dispat chEvent(BundleContextImpl.java:908)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEve nt(EventManager.java:230)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEv entSynchronous(ListenerQueue.java:148)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.pu blishBundleEventPrivileged(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:213)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.pu blishBundleEvent(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:120)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.pu blishBundleEvent(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:112)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor. publishModuleEvent(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:168)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle$SystemBund le$EquinoxSystemModule$1.run(EquinoxBundle.java:165)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.annotation.PreDestroy cannot be found by org.eclipse.e4.core.di_1.6.100.v20170421-1418
… 21 more
!SESSION 2019-02-07 10:22:46.632 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=10.0.1
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2019-02-07 10:23:04.314
!STACK 1
… 22 more
… 24 more
!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-02-07 10:23:04.321
!STACK 0
… 21 more
!SESSION 2019-02-07 10:26:37.156 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=10.0.1
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2019-02-07 10:26:44.519
!STACK 1
… 22 more
… 24 more
!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-02-07 10:26:44.527
!STACK 0
… 21 more
!SESSION 2019-02-07 10:30:28.885 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=10.0.1
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2019-02-07 10:30:35.444
!STACK 1
… 22 more
… 24 more
!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-02-07 10:30:35.451
!STACK 0
… 21 more
!SESSION 2019-02-07 10:33:18.135 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=10.0.1
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2019-02-07 10:33:25.377
!STACK 1
… 22 more
… 24 more
!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-02-07 10:33:25.392
!STACK 0
… 21 more

Same here, spent lot of time figuring out, but unsuccessful. Seems to have something to do with java version or something.
My windows environment works fine, not Mac.
Will be waiting for updates. tx

Hi,
Capella runs with Java version 1.8, and you seem to be using a Java 10 version, that would explain your issue.
Stephane

Hi Vincent,
I guess this is the same issue as the previous one, Capella requires a Java 1.8 version.
Hope this helps,
Stéphane

Having discussed with Vincent, it appeared that he had several java version installed in his Mac machine, un-installing other java version and reinstalling a new one from scratch worked for him. To download the right version to install, go to
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jav a-archive-javase8-2177648.html and then look for “Java SE Development Kit 8u121” and chose the version for Mac OS X if this is your OS.
Stéphane

stephane.lacrampe.obeo.fr wrote on Fri, 26 April 2019 20:37
Having discussed with Vincent, it appeared that he had several java version installed in his Mac machine, un-installing other java version and reinstalling a new one from scratch worked for him. To download the right version to install, go to
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jav a-archive-javase8-2177648.html and then look for “Java SE Development Kit 8u121” and chose the version for Mac OS X if this is your OS.
Stéphane
Hi Stéphane,
Thank you for the recommendation, I’ve tried using Java 1.8 but still received the error message where it pointed me to the log file. I also didn’t’ see any log file being generated in the folder path mentioned. Do you know if anyone ran into the same issue recently?

Hi Henry,
Maybe the more efficient way to solve your issue would be that you message me on LinkedIn. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you can.
In the meantime, please let me know what your operating system is and which version of Capella you are using. Then one issue may be that you have a Java 1.8 32 bit instead of 64 bits. To check that, press the “Win button” + R, and then type “cmd”. It should open a command window.
In this command window, type “java -version”. It should display something like:
java version “1.8.0_121”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b09)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.201-b09, mixed mode)
You should check 2 things: (1) the java version and (2) that it is a 64-bit version.
If this is not a java 1.8 version or not a 64 bits version, then you need to download and install from the Oracle website a JRE 1.8.0_121_64b (go to
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jav a-archive-javase8-2177648.html and search for Java SE Development Kit 8u121)
Hope this helps !
Stéphane

stephane.lacrampe.obeo.fr wrote on Wed, 12 June 2019 23:00
Hi Henry,
Maybe the more efficient way to solve your issue would be that you message me on LinkedIn. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you can.
In the meantime, please let me know what your operating system is and which version of Capella you are using. Then one issue may be that you have a Java 1.8 32 bit instead of 64 bits. To check that, press the “Win button” + R, and then type “cmd”. It should open a command window.
In this command window, type “java -version”. It should display something like:
java version “1.8.0_121”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b09)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.201-b09, mixed mode)
You should check 2 things: (1) the java version and (2) that it is a 64-bit version.
If this is not a java 1.8 version or not a 64 bits version, then you need to download and install from the Oracle website a JRE 1.8.0_121_64b (go to
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jav a-archive-javase8-2177648.html and search for Java SE Development Kit 8u121)
Hope this helps !
Stéphane
Hi Stéphane,
Thank you for reaching out to me, I’ve checked my Java version on my MAC and made sure it was 1.8.0 but still no luck on running it in MAC. I’ve decided to use a Windows VM and install Capella there, I was able to run it (would still need Java 1.8 ).
Thank you for the support

Hi,
after multiple trials with different Java versions I found out, that installing Java 6 before the new one (Java 8) made it working. Probably Capella uses also some files from the old version…
Hope that helps.
Regards
Norman