Design library as Components, import as Actors

Hello everyone,

I’ve been working on the adoption of ARCADIA methodology for the vertically integrated vehicle design and stuck with a problem of the design delegation and reuse.

I have several teams designing, manufacturing and testing their own products top-to-bottom.
I have another team doing the integration of those systems into a vehicle.
The system teams are working in Capella designing their systems and components and providing the libraries for the component reuse within the vehicle.

The question is: is there a way to have the componentss provided by the libraries to be imported as Actors to reflect the semantic of “externality” to a System of Interest (namely - Vehicle)?

At present REC/RELP gives exactly the components, not actors which in turn adds confusion to the modellers.

What is the best way to achieve that?

To me this is the topic of item 3 on this slide of this webinar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhRpOjfyPbk&t=989s and I understand it that you can then change manually the component into an actor once imported from the RPL.
Stephane

Does it mean I have to do the same change for each Vehicle Design and for every library version?
I’ve been trying to achieve a seamless integration of the teams work products.

Well, in the webinar, I think the intent would be to change components into actors in the RPLs, not the RECs. But I suppose you could do it directly on the RECS in the library as well. In both cases, if this involves a lot of manual operation, then you could script it with Python4Capella.

Others may have better ideas.

Stephane

I’ve been looking for an automated way to do such things. Preferably using built-in tools (like a Conjugated Interface Block in SysML) or by using a build pipeline.
Perhaps I have to do lots of scripting because of a federated model nature and lots of the different interfaces to be exposed for the cross-library compatibility alignment.

Will check what could be done there.