Defining the interactions between components in Logical Architecture

Hi all,
I am new in Capella. I defined all components by using Logical Architecture diagram (LAB). Now I wanna define the interactions between the components. I think I should use Functional Exchange to define them. What should I do? In one side, defining Functional Exchange in LAB is not possible, on the other side, when I create new SDFB or LDFB there is no component there. I will appreciate it if somebody explain this process.

Hi,

I suggest you follow a tutorial such as this to gets started:

https://gettingdesignright.com/GDR-Educate/Capella_Tutorial_v6_0/

Or watch some of the videos on this youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@innovatingwithcapella/videos

Josh

Thank you so much Josh. I already watched some of the mentioned channel videos. I’ll try to have a new start with tutorials you suggested.

While I recommend you do the tutorial to get a better understanding of the Arcadia method and the Capella tool, I am just going to give you a quick answer: If you want to define interactions between your components, you should use Component Exchange. Functional Exchange are possible in LAB but there are for exchange between Functions, not Components.
Stephane

Hi Stephane,

For clarification, do ALL functional exchanges that cross a component boundary, need to be implemented by a component exchange?

Im thinking about nested components.

For example, I have component A, that contains 2 components: component B and component C. Function B exists on component B, function C exists on component C and the functions are connected by functional exchange. Is an “internal” component exchange needed to implement that functional exchange. I tried to resolve this by looking at the IFE model. I could see some functional exchanges crossing components without being implemented by a component exchange, which confused me on the proper use of component exchanges when there are nested components…

Cheers

sbeaz

Hi Sbeaz,

In theory the answer is yes. But also it depends what your goal is when doing a model in Capella. If there is no use for you to model Component exchanges (ie they are not going to be used by anyone) then you don’t need to model them.
The IFE is not necessarily a complete model.
So in theory, you should have a component exchange between your components B and C.Let’s assume you give these components to be developed by 2 different teams, then they both need to have a clear definition of the interface by which your functional exchange is flowing.

Stephane