Capella

Hi guys,
can anyone explain?

1-How well can the Capella/ARCADIA model be integrated with specialty engineering models? (CAD, PNID, Project Management, Document Management)

2-How often is the methodology “interrupted”? (by external processes and/or non-integrated tools) how it manage the complexity?

3-Is the process self-contained? (are in-/outputs to all steps connected, consistency)

4-For what engineering purpose is the ARCADIA suited(innovation, improved List products, refactoring, reverse engineering,…)?

5- How well does the model scale? (suitable for large projects, “grows” with time without becoming cumbersome, does it require partitionaing e.g. in a tree)

6- How well ARCADIA defines the real-world semantics of the engineering, are elements strictly typed, is their meaning unambiguous, do they have a defined purpose etc.)

7-To what level is the creation of experts’ perspectives automated? (can views be defined on the model or do they require manual re-work)

8-How well does the tool help to minimise work that isn’t creating any value? (low admin, auto versioning and back-up)

regards,
Irfan

Hi Irfan,
1- You are asking quite a broad question here. Generally speaking, Capella is both open-source and relies on open/standard components like EMF so APIs to build integration are here. But integrating tools/data together is not just a matter of technical API but also how to do it depending on your own processes. Also, I can give you some example of Capella integration, SMW (Systems Modeling Workbench) is an integration between Capella and Teamcenter (and more), Publication for Capella provides an OSLC connector enabling integration with ALMs tools…
2- These are 2 very broad questions. First question: really depends on what your processes are and how you integrate Capella with them… Second question: the complexity of what?
3- the process of what?
4- Arcadia is very well suited and used in a very large set of contexts. It is used in many industry domains and in small projects as well as very large and critical ones. It is also fitted for new system creation, the evolution of an existing system, systems requiring multiple levels of engineering, systems requiring co-engineering, complex systems, reverse engineering (more than 50% of Capella project are done on existing systems)
5- we see some Capella operational projects where models contain 1 million+ elements and 1000+ diagrams. Also, Aradia encourage to not put everything in one model but rather separate your models depending on your level of engineering, and Capella provides tooling for this (System to Sub-system transition)
6- Arcadia is pretty well defined and is a standard. The best answer I can make is to buy and read the Arcadia book from Jean-Luc Voirin
7- Not clear what you call experts’ perspectives. With Capella you can create as many diagrams as you want, you can change the way the diagrams are displayed by changing some filters, changing colors, and so on. You can also extend Capella with Property Values and change the diagrams look and feel based on these property values without coding. And then you can also develop advanced Capella Viewpoints using Capella Studio that automate 80 % of the work but the last 20% requires coding.
8- Again a pretty broad question, and I would certainly not limit the “work not creating value” to “low admin”: Capella targets Systems Engineers/Systems Architects, and I think that Capella does a pretty good job as minimizing the not useful modeling work for systems engineers so that they can concentrate on solving actual engineering problems. As far as admin/versioning/backup is concerned, it depends on what your setup is and what tools you use. But in an operational deployment where you have several users, they would use Team for Capella that provides automatic backup and restore features. Administration is quite low as well

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply,
Let me specify the 1st question,
How I can integrate ARCADIA/Capella model with CAD or PNID diagram? what ad-on or external component can be use?
I found it how it can integrate with MATLAB & Simulik models but I could not find any add-on to integrate with CAD diagrams (CATIA, AUTO CAD) or Piping & Intrument diagram (PNID)

Best regards,
Irfan

I am not aware of any available integration with a CAD or PNID diagram, but I do not pretend to know everything.
We (Obeo) can also provide professional Services to build such integrations.

Hello Irfan,

I am having trouble to integrate Capella to Matlab&Simulink. Can you please help me?

Best regards,
Tuana