Capella information

Hi!
I’m collecting some information about Capella and I was wondering if people could answer these questions?
What are the number of add-ons that Capella can support?
What are the export capabilities of Capella? Can you create a custom report?
What languages/methods does it use/support? (SysML, UML,…)
Is there a limit on the number of users or does it depends on the amount of licenses you buy?
Are there interfaces to other tools (I would need interfaces to Excel, Matlab, LABView, DOORS, JAMA)?
Does it support project management and if so, how does it do it?
Can you see whether changes are made by users and when these were made (change traceability)?
Is there a query possibility?

Thank you for the help!

Hi,

• What are the number of add-ons that Capella can support?
    → I don’t understand the question. I am not aware of a limitation in terms of the “number of add-ons”. What is your use case? Are you willing to add hundreds/thousands of add-ons?

• What are the export capabilities of Capella? Can you create a custom report?
    → There are several ways for exporting information from Capella. For example, M2Doc enables you to create completely custom Word exports. Python4Capella enables you to script your own exports using Python. You can export your model in csv. You can export in HTML using the XHTML generation add-on. There are other add-ons to export data to specific tools. You can use Java to create your own exports…

• What languages/methods does it use/support? (SysML, UML,…)
    → Capella implements the Arcadia method and uses its own DSL inspired by SysML/UML/NAF/Dodaf (More info on Arcadia here: Capella MBSE Tool - Arcadia and the relation to SysML: Is Capella a SysML Tool ?

• Is there a limit on the number of users or does it depends on the amount of licenses you buy?
    → Capella is open-source and free to use - no limit on the number of users.

• Are there interfaces to other tools (I would need interfaces to Excel, Matlab, LABView, DOORS, JAMA)?
    → See my previous answer on exports. You can look at Capella add-ons on this page: Capella MBSE Tool - Add-Ons - You may want to look into Publication for Capella Publication for Capella - Obeo and Obeo can provide services for developing some interfacing you may be needing

• Does it support project management and if so, how does it do it?
    → Capella is not a project management tool, it is a system architecture tool.

• Can you see whether changes are made by users and when these were made (change traceability)?
    → Yes, using the Team for Capella add-on: MBSE Tool - Team for Capella - Obeo - Obeo

• Is there a query possibility?
    → Yes, there are different ways for queering models in Capella, like using the AQL language (Acceleo Querry Language), or using Python4Capella (so using Python)

I hope this helps.
Stephane Lacrampe

1 Like

What I mean is if there is a limited number of add-ons but based on your answer I get the feeling there are a lot of them.

Hi Jan,

Well, addressing all those elements in a unique thread is quite a challenge!
To really address that, a dedicated point would probably be useful. Feel free to contact me for this purpose.

Anyway, a few quick answers:

• What are the number of add-ons that Capella can support?
    • Most common add-ons (both open source and Commercial) are listed on the Capella webpage (Capella MBSE Tool - Add-Ons). Note that there may be others: internal and private extensions developed by Capella users, other unidentified/unrecognised commercial tools, academic projects, etc.
  • What are the export capabilities of Capella? Can you create a custom report?
    • There are several export possibilities. In particular, if you are looking to generate a report, you should take a look at M2Doc
  • What languages/methods does it use/support? (SysML, UML,…)
    • Capella is based on the Arcadia method. However, it should be noted that this approach is compatible with most processes and domains and can be tailored to fit various contexts (see details in the link above)
  • Is there a limit on the number of users or does it depends on the amount of licenses you buy?
    • Capella is open source and so there is no ‘limitation’ on the number of users. However, some commercial add-ons are licensed. The exact pricing is dependent on each addon/editor.
  • Are there interfaces to other tools (I would need interfaces to Excel, Matlab, LABView, DOORS, JAMA)?
    • Yes, there are. Some are available as off-the-shelf products. Others can be custom-made by extension/configuration
  • Does it support project management and if so, how does it do it?
    • Capella does not address project management as such.
  • Can you see whether changes are made by users and when these were made (change traceability)?
    • there are several ways to track changes (Diff/Merge, Git, etc). However, if you are looking for fine-grained tracking by user, Team for Capella is probably the most satisfactory
  • Is there a query possibility?
    • Yes, many of them. It’s hard to list them all.

BR

Samuel

PS: I have just finished my reply and realised that Stephane replied just before me. Sorry for the duplication. There are probably some small details/completions when compiling the two answers :sweat_smile:

1 Like