System of systems - modelling multiple manufacturing machines

I’m looking to use Capella to model multiple separate subsystems, in this case, manufacturing machines that will operate in the same facility. The machines interact with the same products in different states of production. What would be the best way to model the systems in Capella?

Some of the actors/entities would be the same across all systems, e.g. the products at different states (modelled as different entities), personnel, facility resources such as overhead gantry crane, etc.

There are also different set of requirements from their respective customer technical requirement specifications.

To clarify, I’m asking what the best way to set up the project would be.

1. Start with a project for the entire facility, create separate set of diagrams for each machine.

2. Create separate project for each machine. With this option, I’m wondering if there’s a way to link the multiple projects together.

it depends…

What do you want to model? What purpose for?
How deep do you need to go into the details?

“Complete” modelling could be:

1. Model the whole facility (e.g. with all machines you are interested in) => One MainModel
  2. do a System2Subsystem Transition for each machine you want/need to model in detail => n SubModels

Thanks.

It seems that starting with a project for all machines would be the way to go in either case.

Are there any case studies or examples of modelling such facilities or manufacturing systems available online for reference?

@tommyh

I am in the same situation, I have the main model with 2 identical actors for all subsystems but one entity (with 2 choices) each choice must be modeled alone, and I do not know how to make a link (I am in the operational phase)

Hi
To me, your system is the workshop, and the target is to set components that will be your machines. But it depends on the aim of the model. My first idea suit to model made manage manufactured parts exchange in workshop, control their diversity, reuse operation sequences… define ideal conveyer set between machines check what is possible, consequences, especially in multiple serial production case. May be your case is different, may be your would like to concentrate on one machine and understand roles between the machine, the tool, the operator, the supplies… If you need both workshop and workstation, as said by Richard your need to transition system to subsystem…
Your product (manufactured part) is in this case an exchange item, a new one is needed for each manufacturing state, but the element can be typed by the same class having a state machine referencing its level.