Can you "Migrate" Capella Studio Projects?

Hello,
Migrating Capella projects is well known ( capella/3.5. How to migrate Capella projects.mediawiki at master · eclipse/capella · GitHub)
Is it ever possible to migrate Capella Studio Projects?

Hi,

If by “Capella Studio Project”, you mean a “Viewpoint” project, they are mostly compatible (you may have to adapt the generated code in the .model plugin to adapt the nsURI to the version of the Capella metamodel).
(search for string “5.0.0”, or “4.0.0” in the .model project).

If you mean migrating the content of you viewpoint in order to adapt to changes in the viewpoint between version, or to make a new version of your viewpoint compatible with the latest version of Capella, then you need to contribute to the migration mechanism, see the Migration tutorial for details.

Regards,
Arnaud

1 Like

Alright thank you!
Do I also need to change the dependencies to Java versions? (Capella S 1.4 being at 1.6, and my computer supporting 1.8)

Generally speaking ( Older Capella installations VS recent Java versions - Capella - Eclipse Capella Forum (mbse-capella.org)) can your recent JRE version be compatible with “older” JRE version in general, thus making it you perfectly possible to regenerate old viewpoints? (Yes I was talkking about viewpoints)
Thanks

About Java versions, with a Java 1.8 it should be good.
The viewpoint specification files (and specially the .conf one) refers by default to Java 1.6 when you create a viewpoint project but this is not a strict mandatory requirement and a Java 1.8 would work exactly the same.
So you should indeed update your generated projects to refer to Java 1.8 instead of 1.6.

Regards,
Arnaud

1 Like